Re: [HACKERS] Cache query (PREPARE/EXECUTE)

От wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Cache query (PREPARE/EXECUTE)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck) writes:
> >     Then  again,  copyObject/freeObject   must   be   fixed   WRT
> >     leakage/multiref anyway.
>
> Not if we decide to get rid of freeObject, instead.
>
> I think that a little work would have to be done to support efficient
> use of large numbers of contexts, but it's certainly doable.  This
> path seems more attractive than trying to make the world safe for
> freeObject of arbitrary node trees.
   Yes,    little    work    to   build   the   framework.   All   alloc/realloc/free functions for  a  particular
context are   just  function-pointers  inside the context structure itself.   So ther'll be no additional call overhead
when dealing  with   large numbers of contexts.

   OTOH,  this new per-object-context stuff could hand down some   lifetime flag, let's say MCXT_UNTIL_STATEMENT,
MCXT_UTIL_XEND  and  MCXT_UNTIL_INFINITY  to  start  from. The memory context   creation/destruction routines could
managesome global  lists   of    contexts,   that   automatically   get   destroyed   on   AtXactCommitMemory and so
on,making  such  a  kind  of  per-   object  memory  context  a fire'n'forget missile (Uh - played   F15 too
excessively :-).   It  should  still  be  destroyed   explicitly  if  not needed anymore, but if allocated with the
correctlifetime, wouldn't hurt that much if forgotten.

   More work to get all  the  existing  places  in  the  backend   making use of this functionality where applicable.

Jan

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] interesting observatation regarding views and V7.0
От: Don Baccus
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] interesting observatation regarding views and V7.0