Re: [ADMIN] Vacuum command

От jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: [ADMIN] Vacuum command
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

> I've had trouble in the past with the vacuum command taking a long time
> to complete. This past vacuum went for 5 days before I CTRL-C'd it. I'm
> wondering if there is a bug.
>
> I have PostgreSQL 6.3.2 on a Red Hat 5.1 system (PII/400 MHz, 256 Meg
> RAM, 512 Meg Swap, 18 Gig Hard Ultra-wide SCSI Drive). The database
> consists of about 30 tables and is 1.2 Gig in total size.
>
> When I ran 'vacuum verbose analyze' the last time, the vacuum kept
> working for 5 days until I killed it. I had no other programs running on
> the system at the time. Also, I noticed that although 'top' showed that
> the vacuum was using 98% of the system resources, the harddrive activity
> was quiet during that 5 day period (as if nothing was actually
> happening).

    That  behaviour  reminds  me of a similar situation, where an
    index of one of the user tables was corrupt,  causing  vacuum
    to loop on that (all blocks cached so no HD activity).

    Dropping/recreating   the   index  in  question  solved  that
    problem.

    But the difference this time is that it does not  occur  when
    you  manually vacuum all the user tables. So if it's the same
    reason (corrupt index), this time it must be one of a  system
    catalog.

    Can you dump/initdb/reload your database?

Jan