Re: Convert / Migrate From Oracle 11gR2 To PostgreSQL ? On CentOS 5.7 x86_64

От Walter Hurry
Тема Re: Convert / Migrate From Oracle 11gR2 To PostgreSQL ? On CentOS 5.7 x86_64
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 09:13:10 -0500, Gene Poole wrote:

> This has to do with my personal home environment.
>
> I'm running Oracle 11gR2 DBMS with 4 instances using a single home
> directory.  For each of the instances I'm using LVM file systems with 10
> logical volumes defined (/dbmsu00 used for the install and /dbmsu01 -
> u09 for the required files created using the DBCA utility). A single
> LISTENER created using the NETCA utility.
>
> I chose Oracle because back in the dark ages I was a Oracle DBA when
> Oracle 7.3 was current. I've been told that it's OK to download and use
> the Oracle DBMS in a noncommercial environment for a limited time - well
> it's reached the end of that time.  I can't use the free Oracle XE
> because the database size limitations (4 GB).
>
> Based upon what I've read and seen, the best choice for me is PostgreSQL
> Community Edition. What I need is advice, documentation, and information
> on how to take the above and move it from Oracle to PostgreSQL along
> with updating my JBoss 6.0 environment so it has access to the
> PostgreSQL databases/instances?  Can someone supply me with some
> direction?

I use PostgreSQL at home from *choice* (I am an Oracle DBA at work). But
I don't think there is any time limit on personal non-commercial use of
Oracle EE (you may want to check the OTN Licence Agreement on their
download page).

PostgreSQL is FOSS, so there are no "Editions", by the way.

Lastly, a couple of polite requests: Please do not post HTML, and please
consider carefully before crossposting to multiple groups.