Re: SQL Intersect like problem

От Dinesh Visweswaraiah
Тема Re: SQL Intersect like problem
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Bruno,

We considered roles and found it to be too rigid.  We need fine grained
object level rights administrated by the user rather than a fixed
set administrated by the administrator.  This flexibility is very
important and hence Roles will be used more a hint/default rather
than the actual control mechanism.

regards,
Dinesh
At Thursday, 6 February 20037, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 10:17:15 -0500,
>  Dinesh Visweswaraiah <dinesh@trailblazingsolutions.com> wrote:
>> Hi Oliver,
>>
>> Actually the story is a little different.  I used Invoice and
Product
>> and Quantity because everybody understands those.  Reality is that
>> this is a table that has AuthorizationSetId, UserId and Privileges.
>> Objects in my application have a set of authorizations with specified

>> userid and privileges, specifying who is permitted to do what. The
>> Idea is to identify a AuthorizationSetId so that when the set of
>> UserId and Privileges change, I can reuse a AuthorizationSetId
rather
>> than create a new one.  In fact without reuse, there is no point
>> in having a AuthorizationSetId in the first place.
>
>If you are trying to group commonly associated security rights to
simplify
>administration, then the normal way to do this is with roles.
>You have a table relating users and roles and another table relating
>roles and security rights. By joining these two tables you get the
>security rights for an individual user.

--------
>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Dinesh
Cell:703-725-4153
Email:dinesh@trailblazingsolutions.com
Web Site:http://www.trailblazingsolutions.com/dinesh

The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level
of thinking that created them  - Albert Einstein