Re: Querying the hostname of the server

От Péter Kovács
Тема Re: Querying the hostname of the server
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thank you, Ross!

inet_server_addr() returns the correct IP address in this case. I am not sure why... The tunnel goes through at least one port-forwarding node, but I am not sure this makes postgresql see the connection any less local.

Thanks
Peter

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Ross J. Reedstrom <reedstrm@rice.edu> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 03:33:13PM +0200, Péter Kovács wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a number of PostgreSQL servers which I often access through ssh
> tunnel with Pgadmin3. I would like to double check which one I have landed
> on (if the tunnel is really configured the way I want). Is there a way to
> query the hostname from the catalogs?

Hmm, that's a bit tricky, since I assume you're using a local db
connection inside the tunnel, so inet_server_addr() probably returns
null. If you're talking unix/linux machines, then /etc/hostname _should_
have the current hostname in it, so:

create temp table foo (t text);
copy foo from '/etc/hostname';
select * from foo;
drop table foo;

Should work.

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reedstrm@rice.edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist        phone: 713-348-6166