pgAgent Windows service startup time

От Dmitry Samokhin
Тема pgAgent Windows service startup time
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello,

The first time I tried to setup the pgAgent job scheduler on Windows I was
wondered the service couldn't start for a very long time. Further
investigation shown that the 'poll time interval' executable parameter (-t)
affects startup time. Moreover, startup time directly reflects this
parameter. At first, I set (-t 600) meaning I want the pgAgent poll my
server ones every 10 minutes. Having sent the 'start' control to the service
I had at last to kill the process, because it was remaining in the
'Starting' state for several minutes. But leaving the '-t' parameter to
default (10 seconds) caused the service to start exactly in 10 seconds! And
so on.
I doubt it's a feature; what if I want to poll a PostgreSQL server every
day? pgAgent will start during whole day?

Both PostgreSQL and pgAgent services are running on Windows Server 2003
Standard Edition SP2.
PostgreSQL 8.3.7
pgAgent 3.0.0 (as of Mar 2009)

Regards,