Re: Partitioning/inherited tables vs FKs

От Nicolas Barbier
Тема Re: Partitioning/inherited tables vs FKs
Дата
Re: Partitioning/inherited tables vs FKs  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
Список pgsql-hackers
2010/5/11 Marko Tiikkaja <marko.tiikkaja@cs.helsinki.fi>:

>>> Will SELECT ... FOR SHARE not help?
>>
>> Try it, with the example above.  I think you'll find that it doesn't.
>
> TXA => delete from foo;
> DELETE 1
>
> TXB => select a from foo for share; -- waits
>
> What am I missing?

Slightly verbose example of what can go wrong:

CREATE TABLE a (i int PRIMARY KEY);
INSERT INTO a VALUES (1);

CREATE TABLE b (a_id int);

T1> BEGIN TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE;
BEGIN
T1> SELECT i FROM a WHERE i = 1 FOR SHARE; -- Does a with i = 1 exist?i
---1
(1 Zeile)

T1> INSERT INTO b VALUES (1); -- Great, it existed, insert row
pointing to it in b.
INSERT 0 1

T2> BEGIN TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE; -- Evil
transaction T2 is intervening!
BEGIN
T2> SELECT i FROM a WHERE i = 1 FOR SHARE; -- Lock a with i = 1 FOR SHARE.i
---1
(1 Zeile)

T2> SELECT a_id FROM b WHERE a_id = 1; -- Check whether it's got
anything pointing to it.a_id
------
(0 Zeilen)

T2> DELETE FROM a WHERE i = 1; -- Nope, so delete a with i = 1 (this
blocks, because T1 is still holding the lock).

1> COMMIT; -- Commit the insertion of a row pointing to a with i = 1
(this releases all locks that T1 is holding).
COMMIT

DELETE 1
T2> COMMIT; -- Commit the deletion of a with i = 1.
COMMIT
T2> SELECT * FROM b EXCEPT SELECT * FROM a; -- Check for inconsistencies.a_id
(1 Zeile)

Woops.

Nicolas

Сообщение: Re: Partitioning/inherited tables vs FKs
Сообщение: Re: Partitioning/inherited tables vs FKs