Re: postgresql.conf

От Rene Pijlman
Тема Re: postgresql.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:04:10 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>> What we ought to do, however, is to collect and document empirical methods
>> for tuning, such as the above "1/4 of available memory" rule (which does
>> not claim to be correct, btw.).
>
>What would be interesting is to have a program that prompted the user,
>checked some system values, and modified postgresql.conf accordingly.

I vaguely remember Oracle had an out-of-the-box choice for a
small, medium or large installation, with small being the
default. This changed a bunch of parameters, including the RDBMS
block buffers, shared global area, max open cursors and such.
This can be implemented as an (installation time) config utility
on top of the current fundamental parameters.

Regards,
René Pijlman <rene@lab.applinet.nl>