Upgrading a database with pg_dumpall / psql ...

От Marc G. Fournier From":
Тема Upgrading a database with pg_dumpall / psql ...
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
This is one of those 'stupid questions I hate to ask' ... I've rechecked the
docs to make sure I haven't missed something stupid, and unless I'm blind,
I haven't ...

I'm trying to upgrade a database from 8.1 -> 8.2 ... on a seperate server,
with 8.2 pg_dump already installed, I do:

  pg_dumpall -U pgsql -h <host> > dump.sql

Works great.

Then I upgrade the 8.1 server to 8.2, initdb, and try and do the restore
doing:

  psql -U pgsql -h <host> template1 < dump.sql

And get a whack of:

invalid command \n
invalid command \
invalid command \ni
invalid command \
invalid command \n
invalid command \n
invalid command \.

and other errors ... so I'm obviously missing something that is probably
obvious to everyone else ...  am I dumping wrong?  If I use '--inserts',
it, of course, works like a charm, its only when I try and use COPY ...

--
----