Re: Initial release notes created for 9.6

От Christian Ullrich
Тема Re: Initial release notes created for 9.6
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane wrote:

> Christian Ullrich <chris@chrullrich.net> writes:

>> I suggest writing "use the Kerberos realm name for authentication
>> instead of the NetBIOS name" either in place of the existing description
>> or together with it.
>
> OK, how about this:
>
>        <para>
>         Add new SSPI authentication parameters <varname>compat_realm</>
>         and <varname>upn_username</>, to control whether NetBIOS or Kerberos
>         realm names and user names are used during SSPI authentication
>         (Christian Ullrich)
>        </para>

Perfect, except for the implied idea of a "NetBIOS realm name", see
below. I can live with that in release notes, though.

> BTW, I went to read the descriptions of those parameters again, and this
> one seems a bit confusing:
>
>      <varlistentry>
>       <listitem>
>        <para>
>         If set to 1, the domain's SAM-compatible name (also known as the
>         NetBIOS name) is used for the <literal>include_realm</literal>
>         option. This is the default. If set to 0, the true realm name from
>         the Kerberos user principal name is used.
>        </para>
>        <para>
>         Do not enable this option unless your server runs under a domain
>         account (this includes virtual service accounts on a domain member
>         system) and all clients authenticating through SSPI are also using
>         domain accounts, or authentication will fail.
>        </para>
>       </listitem>
>      </varlistentry>
>
> To my mind, an option that's set to 1 is "enabled".  Should the second
> para read "Do not disable ..."?  Or maybe we should reverse the sense
> of the flag, so that the default state can be 0 == disabled?

Well spotted, thanks. It should be "disable" instead.

This is left from when the sense of the option _was_ the other way
around (it was called "real_realm" then). I reversed and renamed it
after Magnus reviewed the patch and was -- correctly -- opposed to the name.

If the default state should be off, we're back to inventing a useful new
name. Magnus suggested "sspi_netbios_realm", which could be shortened to
just "netbios_realm", but I don't like to have both "NetBIOS" and
"realm" in the name because nobody else calls a domain's NetBIOS name a
"realm". (For the release notes, on the other hand, there is no need to
split this hair quite so thin.)

Unless you _really_ want the default (that is, backwards compatible)
behavior with the option off, I would rather keep it the way it is.

--
Christian

Сообщение: Re: Reviewing freeze map code
Сообщение: Re: Reviewing freeze map code