Re: pgadmin4 - Use classic style interface, don't launch browser?

От Mark Murawski
Тема Re: pgadmin4 - Use classic style interface, don't launch browser?
Дата
Re: pgadmin4 - Use classic style interface, don't launch browser?  (Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>)
Список pgadmin-support
Wow.. I go on vacation for a few days and I find this heated thread
going full speed ahead!

Interesting history on why the removal of the 'native interface' occurred.

I do a lot of web work and routinely wind up with locked up or crashed
browsers, so having pgadmin4 run in a browser tab is less than ideal..
although sometimes I run firefox/chrome as another user to have some
memory/process separation so that not ALL of my browsers die when
chrome/firefox barfs up a big one.  I suppose I could maintain yet
another user and make sure I start up pgadmin4 as that.

Would there be a possibility of embedding chromium?  Since of course
it's actively developed and everyone including their pet cat are using
it as a rendering engine these days (including microsoft)  Not sure of
the compatibility with the BSD license would go...

On 7/28/19 2:54 PM, richard coleman wrote:
> [...]
>   * you have to worry about collisions between a /particular/ browser's
>     short cuts and another's (Chrome is different from FireFox is
>     different from Edge, etc.)
>   * context (or right-click) menus aren't typical of a desktop program
>     (no copy / paste option in the query window for example)
>   * you are limited to a single /window /(tab)
>   * you don't have true pop-ups/dialog boxes/notifications
>   * if you detach a query editor panel, you can't reattach it (though
>     that's hopefully just an unresolved bug)
>   * your /session/ is now open to attacks from malicious plugins or
>     random people across the internet (it's a /browser/ after all)
>   * your user / password management is effected by your particular
>     browser's cache or policy
>   * you're limited to the sand boxed security restrictions of the
>     particular browser you happen to be using (try loading a 10 GB file)
>   * disruptions of the connection between the application and the UI,
>     timeout's etc. occur (long running pgAdmin4 sessions can cause the
>     UI to freeze under kubuntu).
>
>       Not an exhaustive listing by any stretch, just what I could come
> up with off the top of my head.
>
>     so, your final suggestion is that, /if/ he's a javascript developer
>     he could simply /write his own program/ to fix a perceived pgAdmin4
>     shortcoming.
>
>     ^ yeah absolutely, write your own programs without asking other
>     people to do it for you for free of charge !!!!????? It's open
>     source software. No one owes you anything. This is distributed
>     without liability
>     <https://electronjs.org/docs/api/browser-window>. The existence of
>     postgresql and pgadmin itself are mere courtesies.
>

>     😂 No one said that they were *owed* anything.  No one is claiming
> anyone is /liable/ for anything either.  Saying that if you don't like
> it you should just write your own is rather short sighted.  Unless the
> dev team is writing pgAdmin4 *only* for *themselves* then they should
> care about what the end users care about.  Otherwise they may find that
> they are the only ones using it. 🤔
>

>     I did not mean write an entirely new admin app, I meant embed
>     pgAdmin4 in Electron which literally takes 5 lines of code as a
>     start <https://electronjs.org/docs/api/browser-window>.  1. Create a
>     browser window. 2. Point it to pgAdmin4 URL. 3. Enjoy !!. If you
>     know SQL, this is definitely do-able. And no it's not like the
>     normal browser window. It will look like a normal app. Or you could
>     increase the immersion by creating a frameless window but you may
>     not be able to close it normally.
>     https://electronjs.org/docs/api/frameless-window
>
>     Here's a starting point. Follow this getting started
>     <https://electronjs.org/docs/tutorial/first-app>first and replace
>     the code in main.js
>
>     |const { app, BrowserWindow } = require('electron') let win function
>     createWindow () { win = new BrowserWindow({ width: 800, height: 600,
numberand point this address to it.