Re: [HACKERS] path toward faster partition pruning

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: [HACKERS] path toward faster partition pruning
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] path toward faster partition pruning  (Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2018/04/13 1:47, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 8:35 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>> Here's an idea.  Why don't we move the function/opclass creation lines
>> to insert.sql, without the DROPs, and use the same functions/opclasses
>> in the three tests insert.sql, alter_table.sql, hash_part.sql and
>> partition_prune.sql, i.e. not recreate what are essentially the same
>> objects three times?  This also leaves them around for the pg_upgrade
>> test, which is not a bad thing.
>
> That sounds good, but maybe we should go further and move the
> partitioning tests out of generically-named things like insert.sql
> altogether and have test names that actually mention partitioning.

Do you mean to do that for *all* files that have tests exercising some
partitioning code, even if it's just one test?  I can see that tests in at
least some of them could be put into their own partition_ file as follows:

partition_insert (including tests in insert_conflict)
partition_update
partition_triggers
partition_indexing (indexing.sql added when partitioned indexes went in)
partition_ddl (for the tests in create_table and alter_table)

That leaves:

cluster
create_index (one test here could be moved to partition_indexing?)
foreign_data (could be moved to partition_ddl?)
foreign_key  (could be moved to partition_ddl?)
hash_part    (leave alone, because already contains 'part' in the name?)
identity
join
plancache
plpgsql
publication
rowsecurity
rules
stats_ext
tablesample
truncate
updatable_views
vacuum

What about the tests in inherit.sql that start with:

--
-- Check that constraint exclusion works correctly with partitions using
-- implicit constraints generated from the partition bound information.

Maybe, just move all of them to partition_prune.sql, because we no longer
use constraint exclusion for pruning?

Thanks,
Amit