Re: procedures for adding data

От Mogin Mohandas
Тема Re: procedures for adding data
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Micheal,
               Thanx for the info. Im sorry, it was a typing mistake......I meant a large no of rows......
    Basically, I do not want to give each row. I just want to write some procedure which will generate the column values of each row in a specified manner.....this is so that I can test a GIST index i tried to build on a UDT called Complex. The values in the rows dont matter.
              In Oracle, a procedure can be used:
    Create or Replace Procedure "tablename"
         //variable declarations
     BEGIN
             //do some kind of incrementing or whatever for the variables used for each column
             insert into "tablename" values(
                          //give the values of each column as required
                 )
      commit;
     END

I just wanted to know whether there is something like this in Postgresql
Thanks a lot
Mogin

On 12/18/05, Michael Glaesemann <grzm@myrealbox.com> wrote:

On Dec 19, 2005, at 12:41 , Mogin Mohandas wrote:

>          I wanted to know how to add a large no of columns in
> postgresql by running a procedure....

Adding a large number of columns or a large number of rows? I'm
unaware of any method to add a large number of columns other than
using ALTER TABLE.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-altertable.html

If you're interested in adding a large number of rows, you may be
interested in COPY.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-copy.html

Also, if you describe your situation in more detail (i.e., what you
are trying to accomplish by adding a large number of columns), you
may receive suggestions on how to do this.

>                     but i cant seem to find a syntax for one like
> the one in Oracle...if anybody has any idea...please tell me...

I am not familiar with Oracle, but others on this list may be. If you
provide the Oracle syntax for what you would like to do, perhaps
another may be able to help you.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com