Re: Would PostgreSQL 16 native transparent data encryption support database level encryption?

От Ron
Тема Re: Would PostgreSQL 16 native transparent data encryption support database level encryption?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 5/22/23 14:22, Tony Xu wrote:
Thanks Christophe for the clarification.

That's not quite right.  A PostgreSQL cluster (in the traditional sense, which means one PostgreSQL server handling a particular endpoint) is isolated from any other clusters on the same machine.

Thanks. I think I had a misunderstanding over the "cluster" eariler. So a PostgreSQL cluster is a PostgreSQL server that we're talking about in general. This means per-DB KEY within a cluster/server is impossible without splitting the whole shared storage among databases, which is indeed a significant amount of work.

"Cluster" is to Postgres as "Instance" is to SQL Server

And, to be somewhat blunt, is Rubrik prepared to pay for it?  This engineering effort needs to be funded by someone, since engineers have to eat.  This is not to say that any feature someone is willing to pay for will make it into PostgreSQL, but an effort of this size, to have any hope of reaching the point of being accepted, will need someone to pay the salaries of the people working on it.
I cannot speak on behalf of Rubrik - I'm just exploring PostgreSQL as a solution for one of my team's projects thus the questions. Nothing is finalized yet but we prefer a managed solution provided by some cloud infra providers so the context I'm getting here will allow me to better understand our provider's solution and their road map.

RDS Postgresql would do the job just fine.  And since you can't get to the files (only access it via port 5432 and aws cli/web, there's no need for TDE.

Azure is probably the same.

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.

Сообщение: Re: Would PostgreSQL 16 native transparent data encryption support database level encryption?
Сообщение: Re: Would PostgreSQL 16 native transparent data encryption support database level encryption?