Re: typo

От Vik Fearing
Тема Re: typo
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On 26/11/2018 15:14, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> writes:
>
>>> Yeah, I just found this on the committers list and I disagree with the
>>> change as well.
>
>> [... checking around ...]
>> Hm.  I have read the sentence and the surroundings a couple of times
>> before doing anything, and using an adverb looked clearer than the
>> adjective.  Is an adjective more appropriate than an adverb here because
>> it insists more on the fact that each row is involved?  Just trying to
>> grab the difference.
>
> I think that text is mine originally, and it was not a typo.  The meaning
> of "table rows proper", in this case, is basically "table rows themelves".
> The first dictionary I looked at gives this example:
>
> PROPER
> Adjective [ chiefly British ]
>   ... [ postpositive ] Strictly so called; in its true form.
>   "some of the dos and don'ts in espionage proper"
>
> But I can see that a lot of people might not be familiar with that usage,
> so I've got no objections to rewriting it more clearly --- any
> suggestions?

How about

  A table that has columns with potentially large entries will have an
  associated TOAST table, which is used for out-of-line storage of field
- values that are too large to keep in the table rows proper.
+ values that are too large to keep in the main table storage.

--
Vik Fearing                                          +33 6 46 75 15 36