Re: typo

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: typo
Дата
Re: typo  (Erik Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl>)
Re: typo  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
Список pgsql-docs
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 08:17:06AM +0100, Vik Fearing wrote:
>> On 26/11/2018 08:03, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> Are you sure that's right? To me the original wording of that sentence
>>> seems to convey the message properly, and the update done does not?

>> Yeah, I just found this on the committers list and I disagree with the
>> change as well.

> [... checking around ...]
> Hm.  I have read the sentence and the surroundings a couple of times
> before doing anything, and using an adverb looked clearer than the
> adjective.  Is an adjective more appropriate than an adverb here because
> it insists more on the fact that each row is involved?  Just trying to
> grab the difference.

I think that text is mine originally, and it was not a typo.  The meaning
of "table rows proper", in this case, is basically "table rows themelves".
The first dictionary I looked at gives this example:

PROPER
Adjective [ chiefly British ]
  ... [ postpositive ] Strictly so called; in its true form.
  "some of the dos and don'ts in espionage proper"

But I can see that a lot of people might not be familiar with that usage,
so I've got no objections to rewriting it more clearly --- any
suggestions?