Re: Issue with PostgreSQL Installer on Windows and Special Characters in the superuser password

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Issue with PostgreSQL Installer on Windows and Special Characters in the superuser password
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 5/31/24 14:18, Timo Schwaak wrote:
> Dear PostgreSQL community,
>
> I hope this is the right place for my concern.
> Today I discovered a strange behaviour of the Windows Installer of
> PostgreSQL.
> While migrating an application database from MSSQL, the Postgres setup
> did not seem to complete correctly and had problems starting the
> Postgres service after installation. I found that the service did not
> seem to be created at all.
> After some trying around with help I found online, trying non-domain
> users and some other stuff that was proposed for the problem, I found
> the problem lay in my chosen password. My password was randomly
> generated with alphanumeric + special characters. While this did not
> work, switching to alphanumeric-only passwords seemed to solve the
> problem. I suspect that the quotation marks in particular are causing
> problems in the setup, as they seem to terminate some strings
> prematurely in the scripts used by the installer.
> My setup was as follows:
>
> OS: Windows Server 2019, also tested on Windows Server 2022
> PSQL version: 16.3 (latest installer from EDB)
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1. Run the installer
> 2. Enter any password that contains quotation marks
> 3. The installer should fail at the end and report some errors.
>

> Could you please help me investigate this, is this a known problem or is
> there even a known workaround? If this is not a known issue, can you
> help me point this report in the right direction so that it can be
> addressed?

1) Don't use passwords with quotation marks.

2) Contact https://www.enterprisedb.com/ and file an issue with them.
The installer is their product not part of the community distribution.

3) Poke pgadmin-support here:

https://www.postgresql.org/list/pgadmin-support/

That is from EDB also, maybe someone over there can help.

4) Jump on this thread at pgsql-bugs about installer :

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/DU0PR10MB71447B1C6946731AD6C73D13C0E72%40DU0PR10MB7144.EURPRD10.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM

Or start a new one here:

https://www.postgresql.org/account/login/?next=/account/submitbug/

--