Issue with PostgreSQL Installer on Windows and Special Characters in the superuser password

От Timo Schwaak
Тема Issue with PostgreSQL Installer on Windows and Special Characters in the superuser password
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Dear PostgreSQL community,

I hope this is the right place for my concern.
Today I discovered a strange behaviour of the Windows Installer of PostgreSQL.
While migrating an application database from MSSQL, the Postgres setup did not seem to complete correctly and had problems starting the Postgres service after installation. I found that the service did not seem to be created at all.
After some trying around with help I found online, trying non-domain users and some other stuff that was proposed for the problem, I found the problem lay in my chosen password. My password was randomly generated with alphanumeric + special characters. While this did not work, switching to alphanumeric-only passwords seemed to solve the problem. I suspect that the quotation marks in particular are causing problems in the setup, as they seem to terminate some strings prematurely in the scripts used by the installer.
My setup was as follows:

OS: Windows Server 2019, also tested on Windows Server 2022
PSQL version: 16.3 (latest installer from EDB)
Steps to reproduce:
1. Run the installer
2. Enter any password that contains quotation marks
3. The installer should fail at the end and report some errors.

Could you please help me investigate this, is this a known problem or is there even a known workaround? If this is not a known issue, can you help me point this report in the right direction so that it can be addressed?

Best regards,

Timo