Re: What locking mechanism is used for database backup and restore and Master-Slave Replication?

От John Mitchell
Тема Re: What locking mechanism is used for database backup and restore and Master-Slave Replication?
Дата
Re: What locking mechanism is used for database backup and restore and Master-Slave Replication?  (Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>)
Список pgsql-general
So am I to presume that the current stable version of postgres (before 8.5) does require extra locking?

John

2010/1/21 Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman@gmail.com>
On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 1:12 PM, John Mitchell <mitchelljj98@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In reading the documentation it states that the SQL dump backup does not
> block other operations on the database while it is working.
yes, pg_dump opens serializable transaction thus guarantees data to be
the exact snapshot (as opposed to the default isolation level, which
is called 'read commited' not without reason).

> I presume that while a restore is occurring that no reads or updates are
> allowed against the restored database.
nope, what restoring does, is just running all the commands in the
pg_dump (whether it is binary or textual). So as soon as the database
is created, it is treated just as any connection, thus allows you to
connect and use it.

> What locking mechanism is used for Master-Slave Replication?

master slave that's introduced in what's to be 9.0 (aka 8.5), uses WAL
shipping. So it doesn't require any extra locking.

--
GJ

--
John J. Mitchell

От: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Сообщение: Re: What locking mechanism is used for database backup and restore and Master-Slave Replication?
От: "Larry Rosenman"
Сообщение: Re: 64bits or 32 bits on ESX?