Re: [ADMIN] WAL archive space planning?

От Scott Whitney
Тема Re: [ADMIN] WAL archive space planning?
Дата
Re: [ADMIN] WAL archive space planning?
Список pgsql-admin
Forgive me if this has been explained well in the past. You can probably search my name for discussions on this...

I fail to see why WAL archiving is either required or desired in a streaming replication scenario WHERE ONE NEVER NEEDS PITR.

I have 2 "production" servers. One is paid customers, and one is customer-facing test and training. Let us call the one that I care about bigDb and the other littleDb.

littleDb replicates bigDb in real-time. They both back up nightly. They are in the same data center.

At my home office, I have otherDb which replicates BOTH and runs independent backups nightly.

I have to have a secondary data center. Let's call that otherCityBigDb and otherCityLittleDb. They stream replication.

There is nowhere in the world where I am responsible for rolling back to anything.

Why would one EVER want WAL archiving? It seems like you are planning for failure.