Re: Mail thread references in commits

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Mail thread references in commits
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 11/30/2016 10:46 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> Agreed. I just did my first commit with the shortened URL, and I
> didn't like it. If we want to use URLs, let's use the canonical
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/<message-id> format.
>
>> Do we know of an actual length limit that is useful to aim for?  If we
>> just make it just a bit shorter but it's still too long for a large
>> class of email readers, depending on the message ID format, then it's
>> not that useful.
>
> Right, we can't control the length of the URL, because it contains the
> message-id, which can be arbitrarily long.

Here is a url with one of the long gmail Message-IDs that I arbitrarily picked out of a recent mail thread:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqTHyDYF-FO+fZvxRhz-7_hPTm4RodBcsy9-NoqHvEtc3w@mail.gmail.com

I'll be interested to know if it breaks anyone's MUA. If it doesn't all we will be arguing about are aesthetics, and
I'ma firm believer in function over form.

cheers

andrew