Re: postgresql is slow with larger table even it is in RAM

От sathiya psql
Тема Re: postgresql is slow with larger table even it is in RAM
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

1st:  you should not use a ramdisk for this, it will slow things down as compared to simply having the table on disk.  Scanning it the first time when on disk will load it into the OS IO cache, after which you will get memory speed.
absolutely....

after getting  some replies, i dropped the table from ramdisk,
and started to have that in the disk itself..

2nd: you should expect the "SELECT COUNT(*)" to run at a maximum of about 350 – 600 MB/s (depending on PG version and CPU speed).  It is CPU speed limited to that rate of counting rows no matter how fast your IO is.
am using 8.1
pentium duo core

So, for your 700 MB table, you should expect a COUNT(*) to run in about 1-2 seconds best case.  This will approximate the speed at which other queries can run against the table.
ok count(*) per say, but other queries is taking much time...

ok i ll do more experimentations and i ll be back....

Very great thanks for all of your replies GUYZ.....

- Luke