Re: postgresql is slow with larger table even it is in RAM

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: postgresql is slow with larger table even it is in RAM
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
sathiya.psql@gmail.com ("sathiya psql") writes:
>                       On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 2:09 PM, jose javier parra sanchez <jojapasa@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>                                It's been said zillions of times on the maillist. Using a select
>                               count(*) in postgres is slow, and probably will be slow for a long
>                                 time. So that function is not a good way to measure perfomance.
>

>                               Yes, but if the data is in HDD then we can say this...
>                                     but now the data is in RAM

Even if the data all is in RAM, it will still take some definitely
non-zero time to examine all of the pages, looking for tuples, and
then to determine which of those tuples are visible from the
perspective of your DB connection.

If 500MB of relevant data is sitting on disk, then it will take
whatever time it takes to pull it from disk; if it is in memory, there
is still work to be done...
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'cbbrowne.com';
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/finances.html