Re: Backup solution over unreliable network

От David Steele
Тема Re: Backup solution over unreliable network
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 11/30/18 1:49 PM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:

> On 30/11/18 8:22 μ.μ., Evan Bauer wrote:
>> Achilleas,
>>
>> I may be over-simplifying your situation, but have you considered
>> breaking the problem into two pieces?  First backing up to a local
>> drive and then using rsync to move those files over the unreliable
>> network to the remote site.
>>
>> Like other who have responded, I can heartily recommend pgbackrest.
>> But if the network stinks, then I’d break the problem in two and leave
>> PostgreSQL out of the network equation.
>
> Pretty good idea, but :
>
> 1) those rsync transfers have to be somehow db aware, otherwise lots of
> things might break, checksums, order of WALs, etc. There would be the
> need to write a whole solution and end up ... getting one of the
> established solutions

It's actually perfectly OK to rsync a pgBackRest repository.  We've
already done the hard work of interacting with the database and gotten
the backups into a format that can be rsync'd, backed up to tape, with
standard enterprise backups tools, etc.

It is common to backup the pgBackRest repo or individual backups (with
--archive-copy enabled) and we have not seen any issues.

BTW, in this context I expect local means in the same data center, not
on the database host.

> 2) the rsync part would go basically unattended, meaning no smart
> software would be taking care of it, monitoring it, sending alerts, etc.
> Also we had our issues with rsync in the past with unreliable networks
> like getting error messages for which google returns one or no results
> (no pgsql stuff, just system scripts) . No wonder more and more PgSQL
> backup solutions move away from rsync.

I agree that this is a concern -- every process needs to be monitored
and if you can avoid the extra step that would be best.  But if things
start getting complicated it might be the simpler option.

Regards,
--
-David
david@pgmasters.net

Сообщение: Re: Backup solution over unreliable network
Сообщение: Re: Backup solution over unreliable network