Re: parallel index creation: maintenance_work_mem not honored?

От Fabio Pardi
Тема Re: parallel index creation: maintenance_work_mem not honored?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thanks for the clarification Peter,

On 21/06/2022 08:46, Peter Geoghegan wrote:

>> But why the temp files are always on disk and not in RAM as other operations do?
> Why not?

Systems running on slow disks will probably suffer from workers writing temp files to disk.

> It is probably true that it would be better to use shared memory in
> the case where there is sufficient memory, but it's not all that
> significant compared to everything else that must happen at the same
> time. It's rarely the bottleneck. External sorts are often faster than
> internal sorts. That happens because they can be more CPU cache
> friendly, for reasons that aren't fundamental.

I would expect this behavior to be mentioned in the documentation.

regards,

fabio pardi

Сообщение: RE: multiple sessions to create index in parallel support
Сообщение: RE: multiple sessions to create index in parallel support