Re: Postgres.js driver - for Node.js

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: Postgres.js driver - for Node.js
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On 1/8/20 7:59 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> writes:
>> On 1/8/20 7:00 PM, Jonathan Buhacoff wrote:
>>> I'm wondering if the short list in the documentation [2] could be
>>> replaced with a link to the corresponding wiki page [1] ?

>> Also, while scanning the list, I also saw that someone recently added
>> several drivers that appear to be non-OSS.
>
> Yeah, the lack of curation there is exactly why we generally *don't* link
> to the wiki from the formal docs.  We should make more of an effort to
> transpose vetted info about this topic into the docs, though.

I'd be fine with taking a crack at this. I had some notes (I think I put
it on -hackers during the SCRAM discussion) on how I reorganized the
list, with what determined what was on the list, and what was an
unsupported driver.

>> ... I will wait until there is some
>> consensus before removing the other closed-source ones.
>
> Hm.  I'd vote against including those in the docs' list, because we can't
> as-a-community review their quality and suitability.

100% agree there.

> However, I'm not
> sure that there's anything wrong with having them in the wiki's list
> as long as they're appropriately marked as not-OSS.

I had an offline suggestion about including a "License" column, which
seems like a good idea in general as we also have in the docs. And if we
are going to include more drivers in the docs, we'd (read "I'd" for this
first pass) have to pull those together anyway.

My personal preference would be to at least separate the open source
from the closed source, but certain things we include in the column
(e.g. supports SCRAM) we would not be able to validate on a closed
source driver. But perhaps if we include said drivers on that page, we'd
not include that info.

(Also my preference with the closed source drivers would be to keep them
listed here:
https://www.postgresql.org/download/products/2-drivers-and-interfaces/
...which I realized adds yet another twist to this discussion because
one could then say "Why not list them all here?" And then it is a
curated listed as it goes through the pgweb team...and then we could
potentially link it from the docs...)

Jonathan