Re: Make all Perl warnings fatal

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Make all Perl warnings fatal
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2023-08-22 Tu 00:05, Michael Paquier wrote:
On Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 11:51:24AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
It's not really the same as -Werror, because many warnings can be generated
at runtime rather than compile-time.

Still, I guess that might not matter too much since apart from plperl we
only use perl for building / testing.
However, is it possible to trust the out-of-core perl modules posted
on CPAN, assuming that these will never produce warnings?  I've never
seen any issues with IPC::Run in these last years, so perhaps that's
OK in the long-run.

If we do find any such issues then warnings can be turned off locally. We already do that in several places.

Regarding the dangers mentioned, I guess we can undo it if it proves a
nuisance.
Yeah.  I am wondering what the buildfarm would say with this change.

+1 to getting rid if the unnecessary call to getprotobyname().
Looking around here..
https://perldoc.perl.org/perlipc#Sockets%3A-Client%2FServer-Communication

Hmm.  Are you sure that this is OK even in the case where the TAP
tests run on Windows without unix-domain socket support?  The CI runs
on Windows, but always with unix domain sockets around as far as I
know.

The socket call in question is for a PF_INET socket, so this has nothing at all to do with unix domain sockets. See the man page for socket() (2) for an explanation of why 0 is ok in this case. (There's only one protocol that matches the rest of the parameters).

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan