Alias for field name

От reina@nsi.edu (Tony Reina)
Тема Alias for field name
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I know this is probably a no-no, but I was just curious.

I have two databases that are almost identical. Some of the minor
differences include different field names. For instance, in one db a
field called 'cell_name' is the same (more or less) as a field called
'file_name' in another db (actually cell_name is a subset of
file_name).

Would it be possible for PostgreSQL to know that if I ask for
'file_name' in the first db that I am really talking about
'cell_name'? In other words, is there an alias declaration?

e.g.    CREATE TABLE testtable (
        cell_name    int4  AKA file_name
    );

Note that I don't think this would be true referential integrity
because 'file_name' is nowhere in the first database (it's between
them).

Thanks.
-Tony