Re: Add exclusive backup deprecation notes to documentation

On 2/28/19 6:08 PM, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> David Steele wrote:
>> This patch attempts to document the limitations of the exclusive mode.
>
> Thanks!
>
>> +   <para>
>> +     The primary issue with the exclusive method is that the
>> +     <filename>backup_label</filename> file is written into the data directory
>> +     when <function>pg_start_backup</function> is called and remains until
>> +     <function>pg_stop_backup</function> is called.  If
>> +     <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> or the host terminates abnormally
>
> There should be a comma at the end of this line.

Fixed.

>> +     then <filename>backup_label</filename> will be left in the data directory
>> +     and <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> will not start. A log message
>
> You should say "*may* not start", because it will if the WAL segment is still there.

You are correct.  It's still pretty likely though so I went with "probably".

I added some extra language to the warning that gets emitted in the log.
  Users are more like to see that than the documentation.

I also addressed a comment from another thread by adding pg_basebackup
as .e.g. rather than or.

Thanks,
--
-David