Re: Is PostgreSQL SQL Database Command Syntax Similar toMySQL/MariaDB?

От Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Тема Re: Is PostgreSQL SQL Database Command Syntax Similar toMySQL/MariaDB?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2020-03-31 06:30, Kevin Brannen wrote:
> From: Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <ceo@teo-en-ming.com>
>
>> Is PostgreSQL SQL database command syntax similar to MySQL/MariaDB?
>

> If you stuck to "standard SQL" in Mysql, you'll generally be fine; the
> differences will be pretty minor. The further you strayed from the
> standard will cause you more work -- usually. That being said, moving
> for any DB to another will always cause you to find DB-specific
> things. Of course, there are always a few things that can only be done
> with DB-specific code, so you'll be rewriting those parts with
> certainty (an example is the insert-or-update concept).
>
> [Side note: I forced myself to read a good part of the SQL standard
> some time back and was amazed by how many times the phrase
> "implementation defined" was used, which helps to explain why all the
> DBs do some things so differently.]
>
> The admin commands are quite different as well, be prepared for that,
> but I can't think of anything that Mysql can do that Pg can't as well.
> (Although it's been awhile since I had to use Mysql, so I may have
> forgotten something.)
>
> Last but not least, please remember that all of those "unusual" things
> you had to do to get Mysql to work, or work around its bugs, won't be
> needed and will more than likely get in your way with Postgresql. I'm
> not saying the Pg is perfect, but that Mysql's bugs and oddities don't
> apply to Pg.
>
> Good luck with your conversion and welcome to Pg!
> Kevin

Noted with thanks.

-----BEGIN EMAIL SIGNATURE-----

The Gospel for all Targeted Individuals (TIs):

[The New York Times] Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of
U.S. Embassy Workers

Link:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/science/sonic-attack-cuba-microwave.html

Singaporean Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic
Qualifications as at 14 Feb 2019 and refugee seeking attempts at the
United Nations Refugee Agency Bangkok (21 Mar 2017), in Taiwan (5 Aug
2019) and Australia (25 Dec 2019 to 9 Jan 2020):

[1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/

[2] https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/

[3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming

-----END EMAIL SIGNATURE-----