RE: Is PostgreSQL SQL Database Command Syntax Similar toMySQL/MariaDB?

От Kevin Brannen
Тема RE: Is PostgreSQL SQL Database Command Syntax Similar toMySQL/MariaDB?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
From: Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <ceo@teo-en-ming.com>

> Is PostgreSQL SQL database command syntax similar to MySQL/MariaDB?

If you stuck to "standard SQL" in Mysql, you'll generally be fine; the differences will be pretty minor. The further
youstrayed from the standard will cause you more work -- usually. That being said, moving for any DB to another will
alwayscause you to find DB-specific things. Of course, there are always a few things that can only be done with
DB-specificcode, so you'll be rewriting those parts with certainty (an example is the insert-or-update concept).

[Side note: I forced myself to read a good part of the SQL standard some time back and was amazed by how many times the
phrase"implementation defined" was used, which helps to explain why all the DBs do some things so differently.]

The admin commands are quite different as well, be prepared for that, but I can't think of anything that Mysql can do
thatPg can't as well. (Although it's been awhile since I had to use Mysql, so I may have forgotten something.)

Last but not least, please remember that all of those "unusual" things you had to do to get Mysql to work, or work
aroundits bugs, won't be needed and will more than likely get in your way with Postgresql. I'm not saying the Pg is
perfect,but that Mysql's bugs and oddities don't apply to Pg.

Good luck with your conversion and welcome to Pg!
Kevin
This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential
information.If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient,
youare hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, review, copy or use of any of the information contained in or
attachedto this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately
notifyus by reply e-mail, and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them
todisk. Thank you.