Re: Not sure if I should CREATE INDEX for text columns on which Iplan to filter later

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Not sure if I should CREATE INDEX for text columns on which Iplan to filter later
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 02/21/2018 01:33 PM, Alexander Farber wrote:
> Hi Martin -
>
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 1:26 PM, Martin Moore <martin.moore@avbrief.com
> <mailto:martin.moore@avbrief.com>> wrote:
>
>     I’m no expert but I’d think it unlikely an index would be considered
>     for a table with only 100 rows in. Also I’m pretty sure only one
>     index per table is used, so you’d want to put state1 and state2 in
>     one index.
>

> I hope to have more records in the words_games table later when my game
> is launched (currently in soft launch/beta).....

I do strongly recommend generating a representative amount of data as
part of testing, and making sure all the indexes are there before going
live. Otherwise you'll be playing whack-a-mole over a long period of
time, depending on how fast the individual tables grow.

Either setup a script that generates data through the application, or
generate synthetic data in some other way.

regards