WAL based backup/recovery clarifications

От Sabin Coanda
Тема WAL based backup/recovery clarifications
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi there,

I'd like to use WAL, but I need some clarifications about the
backup/recovery procedure.

In Postgresql v8.2.3 documentation, I found I have to make backup between
pg_start_backup/pg_stop_backup executions, using tar/cpio tools.

May I use pg_dumpall instead ? Is it enough to restore the database later
with WAL ?

If I cannot use pg_dumpall, please tell me exactly what are the directories
that have to be archived. I note that I use a standard configuration on
Windows.

TIA,
Sabin