Accented chars in several apps

От G. Brannon Smith
Тема Accented chars in several apps
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I have a personal database of my books, several of which are French with
accented characters in their titles. However I am getting inconsistent
display of the accent characters depending on the app I am using to
access the DB.

When the accents show up OK in psql and phpPgAdmin,
they look like garbage in pgaccess and pgadmin3.
If I correct them in pgaccess and/or pgadmin3,
they look like garbage in psql and phpPgAdmin.

An example:
pgadmin3 shows
[Paris, Odéon-Théâtre de France, 21 Octobre 1963] ; (suivi de) Pas
Moi : [Paris, Théâtre d'Orsay, 8 Avril 1975]

while phpPgAdmin renders
[Paris, Odéon-Théâtre de France, 21 Octobre 1963] ; (suivi de) Pas Moi :
[Paris, Théâtre d'Orsay, 8 Avril 1975]

-OR- (same database, diff row)
psql (SQL_ASCII enc) has
la dissertation fran?aise aux baccalaur?ats et aux concours

but pgadmin3 sez
la dissertation française aux baccalauréats et aux concours

(dunno how these will travel in email)
The bookcat database is SQL_ASCII. Initdb initted the system (7.4.2
installed by RPM on Fedora Core 1) as en_US.UTF-8.

What should I be checking for in these apps and how can I make them ALL
consistently render the accents correctly?

| G. Brannon SMITH, M.S.         WWW: http://gbsmith.freeshell.org   |
|      Computer Science          mailto:gbsmithATfreeshellDOTorg     |
|                                mailto:brannonsmithATyahooDOTcom    |
| "There is no off position on the genius switch." - David Letterman |