Data Encryption in PostgreSQL, and a Tutorial.

От mikecoxlinux@yahoo.com (Mike Cox)
Тема Data Encryption in PostgreSQL, and a Tutorial.
Дата
Re: Data Encryption in PostgreSQL, and a Tutorial.6  (Mike Nolan <nolan@gw.tssi.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Has anyone created something like that for Postgresql?  It would be
really handy to encrypt credit card numbers and other information so
it stays secure.

If no one has created anything such as this, I am going to code up
something quite soon, but if it already exists, there is no need for
me to reinvent the wheel, so speak up!  It is a law in places such as
the EU that many types of data must be encrypted if the database is
compromised.

I will put up my solution in a few days if one does not exist.  But
before I do that, I want to give a quick tutorial on how to create a
file that will create tables, views and other such essentials.  Most
people who use PostgreSQL just type in the commands in PostgreSQL, but
that is not as easily portable or backed up as what I'm about to show
you!

1. open vi with a file.
2.  Comments can be made as long as you add to slashes before the
line:
--this is a comment.
3. Next just type in the SQL commands you want!
4. after you are done, save the file.
5. then just do this to create the database you made in the file:
psql database_name < my_vi_file
6.That is it!

Here is a very simple sample of a file:

--This is a sample file.  Use at your own risk.  No Warranties
--Written by Mike Cox, author of the *nix "hm" command.

create table first(
MYNUMBER INTEGER);

create VIEW myview AS
select * from first;

--Ok this is the end.  As you can see it is very simple and portable.
--Try it out. Here's how: psql your_database < this_file