Re: [GENERAL] SELECT statement with sub-queries

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: [GENERAL] SELECT statement with sub-queries
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 05/28/2017 11:54 AM, Michelle Konzack wrote:

>> Because you are comparing categories.cat
>
> ehm no

Actually yes:

SELECT categories.cat FROM categories WHERE
     categories.serial = products.category

is going to select categories.cat which is a varchar.

SELECT * FROM products WHERE category IN ...

is asking to select all fields from where the products.category field is
in the output of the above sub-select, which reduces down to
products.category = categories.cat
or
integer = varchar. As the error message says , that is not possible.

> I want to replace in the output the numerical ID from "products.category"
> with the value of "categories.cat", where the "products.category" match
> the "categories.serial"
>

>> which is a varchar to
>> products.category which is an integer.  The above is crying out for
>> FOREIGN KEYS. For the time being I going to assume products.category
>> is a faux FK to categories.serial so;
>>
>> SELECT * FROM products WHERE products.category = categories.serial;

My mistake, it should be:

SELECT categories.cat, manufacturer, p_name, p_images, p_desc
FROM products, categories WHERE products.category = categories.serial;

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com