Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Doc: desultory copy-editing for v10 releasenotes.

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Doc: desultory copy-editing for v10 releasenotes.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
On 2017/07/10 12:36, Tom Lane wrote:
> Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> writes:
>> On 2017/07/10 9:11, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Doc: desultory copy-editing for v10 release notes.
>
>> I see you updated text for the partitioning item:
>
>>         syntax</> that automatically creates partition constraints and
>> -       <command>INSERT</> routing (Amit Langote)
>> +       handles routing of tuple insertions and updates (Amit Langote)
>
>> Although I like the new text better, I'm afraid that we don't support
>> routing updates yet, only inserts.
>
> Hm?  We correctly handle updates that don't change the partition key
> columns, as well as deletes, no?

That's true.

>  The previous text made it sound like *only* the insert case worked properly.

So, as long as an UPDATE doesn't change the partition key of a tuple, it's
being "routed" correctly, that is, put back into the same partition.

To me, the phrase "routing updates" meant "re-routing" a tuple when the
partition key change requires it, but I may be wrong.

> It might be worth mentioning that you can't move a row into another
> partition via UPDATE.  Or maybe that's more detail than we need here.
> Not sure.

Maybe, we can leave that detail out of the release notes.

Thanks,
Amit