Re: Multiple Query IDs for a rewritten parse tree

От Andrey V. Lepikhov
Тема Re: Multiple Query IDs for a rewritten parse tree
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/10/22 9:51 AM, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 09:10:59AM +0500, Andrey V. Lepikhov wrote:
>> I can add one more use case.
>> Our extension for freezing query plan uses query tree comparison technique
>> to prove, that the plan can be applied (and we don't need to execute
>> planning procedure at all).
>> The procedure of a tree equality checking is expensive and we use cheaper
>> queryId comparison to identify possible candidates. So here, for the better
>> performance and queries coverage, we need to use query tree normalization -
>> queryId should be stable to some modifications in a query text which do not
>> change semantics.
>> As an example, query plan with external parameters can be used to execute
>> constant query if these constants correspond by place and type to the
>> parameters. So, queryId calculation technique returns also pointers to all
>> constants and parameters found during the calculation.
>
> I'm also working on a similar extension, and yes you can't accept any
> fingerprinting approach for that.  I don't know what are the exact heuristics
> of your cheaper queryid calculation are, but is it reasonable to use it with
> something like pg_stat_statements?  If yes, you don't really need two queryid
> approach for the sake of this single extension and therefore don't need to
> store multiple jumble state or similar per statement.  Especially since
> requiring another one would mean a performance drop as soon as you want to use
> something as common as pg_stat_statements.

I think, pg_stat_statements can live with an queryId generator of the
sr_plan extension. But It replaces all constants with $XXX parameter at
the query string. In our extension user defines which plan is optimal
and which constants can be used as parameters in the plan.
One drawback I see here - creating or dropping of my extension changes
behavior of pg_stat_statements that leads to distortion of the DB load
profile. Also, we haven't guarantees, that another extension will work
correctly (or in optimal way) with such queryId.

--
regards,
Andrey Lepikhov

От: Alexander Lakhin
Сообщение: Re: Why is src/test/modules/committs/t/002_standby.pl flaky?
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: SQL:2011 application time