Re: Proposal: Document ABI Compatibility

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Proposal: Document ABI Compatibility
Дата
Re: Proposal: Document ABI Compatibility
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11.06.24 16:55, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Jun 10, 2024, at 15:39, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>
>> That's 6 years ago, not sure we can really learn that much from that.
>>
>> And it's not like it's actually impossible, #ifdefs aren't great, but they are
>> better than nothing.
>
> Right, it’s just that extension authors could use some notification that such a change is coming so they can update
theircode, if necessary.

I think since around 6 years ago we have been much more vigilant about
avoiding ABI breaks.  So if there aren't any more recent examples of
breakage, then maybe that was ultimately successful, and the upshot is,
continue to be vigilant at about the same level?