Re: WIP: fix SET WITHOUT OIDS, add SET WITH OIDS

От Marko Kreen
Тема Re: WIP: fix SET WITHOUT OIDS, add SET WITH OIDS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2/9/09, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Marko Kreen wrote:
> > We've set default_with_oids = false, for quite a long time.  But there
> > are still tables remaining with oids.  And this discussion showed it
> > now easy to get rid of them.
>
>  Do you still need the oids? If not, run ALTER TABLE WITHOUT OIDS before
> upgrading to 8.4, while it's still fast. If yes, you couldn't use the option
> to remove them at pg_dump anyway because you still need them after the
> upgrade.

Indeed.  I must apologize.  I seems I read too fast and got the impression
the bug applies also to older versions of Postgres.  If this is not
the case and ALTER still works fine on older versions, most of my comments
do not apply, because indeed, we can clean it up on 8.3.

There is still minor problem that it will be made expensive on 8.4, but
as it is not released yet, it can be solved by advising users to clean
up their tables on 8.3.

--
marko