Re: WIP: fix SET WITHOUT OIDS, add SET WITH OIDS

От Marko Kreen
Тема Re: WIP: fix SET WITHOUT OIDS, add SET WITH OIDS
Дата
Re: WIP: fix SET WITHOUT OIDS, add SET WITH OIDS
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2/9/09, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>  David Fetter wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 11:51:22AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > > Now, if you want to argue that we should get rid of SET WITHOUT OIDS
> > > altogether,
> >
> > +1 for removing it altogether.  Row OIDs are and ugly wart :P
>
>  That might be true but I know of apps that use them. Having the ability to
> migrate those slowly by using SET WITHOUT OIDS is a Good Thing (tm).

+1 for removal.

Also, whether the removal happens or not, I would suggest a setting that
makes Postgres accept, but ignore default_with_oids / WITH OIDS settings.

The problem is how to migrate apps that definitely do not use oids,
in a situation where you have hundred of databases.

Scanning all dbs and doing ALTER table would be option, if it would
work 100% and would not touch data.  Otherwise is cannot be used.

Trying to manually manipulate dump files which are filled with
"SET default_with_oids" each time database is dumped/reloaded is also
not an option.

Currently the only sane path seems to patch Postgres to ignore the
settings, but that does not seem very user-friendly approach...

--
marko