Re: understanding explain data

От Sim Zacks
Тема Re: understanding explain data
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I agree with you that an index isn't always the answer, that was more of
an example. I was thinking more along the lines of an intelligent part
of the database that has access to the statistics and would be able to
spit out recommendations for the query.

Such as, I type in a monster query and say optimize and in would be able
to spit out 4 smaller views that use each other and generate the same
result in 10% of the time. Or to say this query is optimized, but you
need an index on these columns.

I disagree with you that a human brain would be better then a machine
for optimizing purposes. If the system is programmed to optimize
correctly, then it will when to stick data into a temp table and update
columns instead of doing a select because x number of joins are too much
for the select. Humans may not know the optimal number of joins before
the query becomes inefficent.