Re: understanding explain data

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: understanding explain data
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Sim Zacks wrote:
> I disagree with you that a human brain would be better then a machine
> for optimizing purposes. If the system is programmed to optimize
> correctly, then it will when to stick data into a temp table and update
> columns instead of doing a select because x number of joins are too much
> for the select. Humans may not know the optimal number of joins before
> the query becomes inefficent.

You're thinking about single queries here ;) A piece of software can
very well optimize a single query, but it will be limited to that.

I was referring to changing parts of your database so that the query can
be written in a simpler, more optimal way.

As an example, say that you have a tree structure of factories, each
with a multitude of departments, and you want to query the number of
employees (sum of all departments) in a specific factory.

You could write a query to read in all those departments and then count
all the employees in them.

You could also keep track of the the employee-count for each department
when you insert or delete employee records, and summarize these values
for each factory record (using a trigger, most likely). If you do that,
you only need to read the employee-count of the factory record.

Which do you think is faster? And how do you think a piece of software
can get to this solution only from reading the explain output of your query?

--
Alban Hertroys
alban@magproductions.nl

magproductions b.v.