Re: Query related to pg_dump write to a pipe on a windows client and with compressed format

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Query related to pg_dump write to a pipe on a windows client and with compressed format
Дата
Список pgsql-general

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAKKd065aJ1LuUMw_bhBgmgoM6Ng-cLdBobpzRiU%2BUsdsmW2aOg%40mail.gmail.com#996021734fa788bd1bc737254002ad11
<https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAKKd065aJ1LuUMw_bhBgmgoM6Ng-cLdBobpzRiU%2BUsdsmW2aOg%40mail.gmail.com#996021734fa788bd1bc737254002ad11>

> We tried pg_dump write to a pipe with compressed format and faced issue
> as in thread referred here.

The complete command line was?

> It was on windows client and for postgres 9.2 version. So during
> pg_restore, seek error was seen.
> With pg_dump writing the dump to a file and then move to another machine
> for backup, this problem was not there.

The pg_dump command used for this was?

> But now the issue is that we need to have a  lot of free space to write
> the dump file
Size of file?

> So trying to understand if the compressed format still needs the staging
> of output file with the latest versions? Or we can write the output to a
> pipe to move the data to another machine for backup.

What happens if you don't compress the pg_dump output?

In other words is the network fast enough to compensate for not compressing?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com