Re: Hardware recommendation: which is best

От Phoenix Kiula
Тема Re: Hardware recommendation: which is best
Дата
Re: Hardware recommendation: which is best  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
Список pgsql-general

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:eMkvpB66H9QJ:stateless.geek.nz/2005/02/24/lsi-1030-raid-status-on-linux/+lsi+1030+raid+controller&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us
> )
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-scsi/2005-January/001646.html
>
> Based on the well known strengths of the 3Ware controller vs. what appears
> to be a very weak LSI controller, I would expect the Asus system above to
> have massively better performance for your intended application than this
> particular IBM one--even though it's possible the real-world performance
> of the CPU/memory might be a little better on the Opteron box.  The fact
> that it will have 2X as many disks will just increase its lead.  And now
> you know why everyone wanted such specific information!

Thank you for the detailed explanation Greg. Very, very useful!

Just to confirm -- why do you say "[Opteron] will have 2X as many
disks"? In the dual-Opteron setup above I have 2 hard disks with
RAID1, whereas in the single-Xeon quad-core setup I have 4 disks with
RAID 10.

Сообщение: Re: Hardware recommendation: which is best
Сообщение: Re: Hardware recommendation: which is best