Re: Hardware recommendation: which is best

От Phoenix Kiula
Тема Re: Hardware recommendation: which is best
Дата
Re: Hardware recommendation: which is best  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On 11/09/2007, Franz.Rasper@izb.de <Franz.Rasper@izb.de> wrote:
> It depends what you want to do with your database.
>
> Do you have many reads (select) or a lot of writes (update,insert) ?

This one will be a hugely INSERT thing, very low on UPDATEs. The
INSERTS will have many TEXT fields as they are free form data. So the
database will grow very fast. Size will grow pretty fast too.

> You should use a hardware raid controller with battery backup write cache
> (write cache should be greater than 256 MB).

I'll have a raid controller in both scenarios, but which RAID should
be better: RAID1 or RAID10?

> How much memory do you have ?

4GB to begin with..

> How big is your database, tables ... ?

Huge, as the two main tables will each have about ten TEXT columns
each. They will have about 15000 new entries every day, which is quite
a load, so I believe we will have to partition it at least by month
but even so it will grow at a huge pace.

While we are at it, would postgres be any different in performance
across a single-CPU Quad Core Xeon with a dual CPU dual-core AMD
Opteron? Or should the hard disk and RAM be the major considerations
as usually proposed?

Thanks