Re: [HACKERS] Built-in plugin for logical decoding output

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Built-in plugin for logical decoding output
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Built-in plugin for logical decoding output  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 09/25/2017 10:43 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2017-09-25 10:38:52 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>

>>> There is already about 3 million output plugins out there so I think we
>>> did reasonable job there. The fact that vast majority of that are
>>> various json ones gives reasonable hint that we should have that one in
>>> core though.
>>
>> And I am sure that 2ndQuadrant would be happy to add it to their version of
>> Postgres and maintain it themselves.
>>
>> https://www.2ndquadrant.com/en/resources/2ndqpostgres/
>
> This doesn't seem like a good way to argue.

Sorry, that wasn't supposed to be negative. My point was that
2ndQuadrant has a distribution of Postgres that they support. If
2ndQuadrant wants the feature, they could add it to their own without
burdening the wider community further. It provides 2ndQuadrant what they
are arguing for, benefits 2ndQuadrant as it increases the visibility and
opportunity of their distribution for wider use.

This is essentially what BigSQL and EDB are doing quite successfully.
They add what the Core .Org community won't or doesn't (for whatever
reason) and that makes their distribution attractive for their users.

Thanks,

JD

Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://pgconf.us
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****