Re: Pluggable toaster

От Teodor Sigaev
Тема Re: Pluggable toaster
Дата
Re: Pluggable toaster
Список pgsql-hackers
> I agree ... but I'm also worried about what happens when we have
> multiple table AMs. One can imagine a new table AM that is
> specifically optimized for TOAST which can be used with an existing
> heap table. One can imagine a new table AM for the main table that
> wants to use something different for TOAST. So, I don't think it's
> right to imagine that the choice of TOASTer depends solely on the
> column data type. I'm not really sure how this should work exactly ...
> but it needs careful thought.

Right. that's why we propose a validate method  (may be, it's a wrong
name, but I don't known better one) which accepts several arguments, one
of which is table AM oid. If that method returns false then toaster
isn't useful with current TAM, storage or/and compression kinds, etc.

--
Teodor Sigaev                      E-mail: teodor@sigaev.ru
                                       WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/