Re: Debian : No echo after pg_dump | psql

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Debian : No echo after pg_dump | psql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/29/18 8:12 AM, Moreno Andreo wrote:
> Hi guys,
>      I'm facing a strange thing on my test server (Google Cloud)
>
> On my Debian 9 box I'm running Postgres 9.6.10, and I'm transferring
> some databases from another server (Debian 8, PG 9.5.15).
>
> The command I'm using is
> root@xxxxx:~# pg_dump -v -C -h <remote host> -p 6543 -U postgres
> <dbname> | psql -h localhost -p 6543 -U postgres <dbname>
> It presents a double password prompt after I run it:
> Password: Password for user postgres:
>
> I enter _once_ my postgres password, and it starts processing data.
>
> At a certain point it suddenly stops processing without prompting
> anything, and goes on only if I insert my postgres password again, as if
> it was for one of the two prompts it showed at the beginning where I
> entered only one password.
> After another bit of processing, it asks another time (the third!) my
> postgres password. After I entered it, it goes to the end (and there are
> no issues in data or anything simia.
>
> After this, I have no more echo on what I'm typing, but if I type
> something and press enter, I can see the result of the command I just
> typed (and have not seen) on the console.
>
> Restarting the SSH session resolves the problem.
>
> The same strange behavior is the same if I switch servers (running
> pg_dump on Debian 8/PG 9.5 connecting on Debian 9/PG 9.6)

Look into the .pgpass file:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/libpq-pgpass.html

Or if you already have one check that is set up for both the remote and
local servers.

> Another thing I was forgetting to report:
>
> If I create database (just database, not schema) on target machine, I
> receive the error "database xxxx already exists" but the dump goes on

Might look at --clean:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/app-pgdump.html

-c
--clean

     Output commands to clean (drop) database objects prior to
outputting the commands for creating them. (Unless --if-exists is also
specified, restore might generate some harmless error messages, if any
objects were not present in the destination database.)

     This option is only meaningful for the plain-text format. For the
archive formats, you can specify the option when you call pg_restore.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com