Re: Data Encryption in PostgreSQL, and a Tutorial.

От Jerry McBride
Тема Re: Data Encryption in PostgreSQL, and a Tutorial.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
T. Relyea wrote:

> Mike Cox wrote:
>
>> Has anyone created something like that for Postgresql?  It would be
>> really handy to encrypt credit card numbers and other information so
>> it stays secure.
>>
>> If no one has created anything such as this, I am going to code up
>> something quite soon, but if it already exists, there is no need for
>> me to reinvent the wheel, so speak up!  It is a law in places such as
>> the EU that many types of data must be encrypted if the database is
>> compromised.
>>
>> I will put up my solution in a few days if one does not exist.  But
>> before I do that, I want to give a quick tutorial on how to create a
>> file that will create tables, views and other such essentials.  Most
>> people who use PostgreSQL just type in the commands in PostgreSQL, but
>> that is not as easily portable or backed up as what I'm about to show
>> you!
>>
>> 1. open vi with a file.
>> 2.  Comments can be made as long as you add to slashes before the
>> line:
>> --this is a comment.
>> 3. Next just type in the SQL commands you want!
>> 4. after you are done, save the file.
>> 5. then just do this to create the database you made in the file:
>> psql database_name < my_vi_file
>> 6.That is it!
>>
>> Here is a very simple sample of a file:
>>
>> --This is a sample file.  Use at your own risk.  No Warranties
>> --Written by Mike Cox, author of the *nix "hm" command.
>>
>> create table first(
>> MYNUMBER INTEGER);
>>
>> create VIEW myview AS
>> select * from first;
>>
>> --Ok this is the end.  As you can see it is very simple and portable.
>> --Try it out. Here's how: psql your_database < this_file
>
> MySQL has encryption and decryption functions built in, doesn't
> Postgresql?
>
> Todd

Obviously not... that's why we don't use it at work....

                     Registered Linux User Number 185956
          http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&group=linux
This email account no longers accepts attachments or messages containing
html.
    12:26pm  up 35 days, 13:39,  2 users,  load average: 2.51, 2.56, 2.58